x
x
News
About Us
Events
Archives
x





x



Photo By Jim Mays, 1950. Courtesy of Sargeant Memorial Collection, Norfolk Public Library


Carrol Walker's Old Norfolk

Norfolk Municipal Airport

By Peggy Haile McPhillips
Norfolk City Historian

Today's Norfolk International Airport was established as Norfolk Municipal Airport on the former Truxton Manor Golf Course in 1938, in what was then part of Princess Anne County. Penn Central Airlines (later United Airlines) provided the first passenger service. The first terminal building, shown here, was dedicated in March, 1940.

During World War II, the United States Army Air Corps took over airport operations and made improvements that included additional, longer, runways that could accommodate larger aircraft. Management of the airport was turned over to the Norfolk Port and Industrial Authority (NPIA) in 1950, and a new terminal was opened in 1951. The name of the airport was changed to Norfolk Regional Airport in 1968 and, after the addition of federal customs service in 1976, became Norfolk International Airport. The little terminal building of 1940 would probably fit into one concourse of today's beautiful modern airport, but it sure was less of a hike to make it to the plane in those days!


Return to top

More News

x
x

x   x   x

Carrol Walker's Old Norfolk
Norfolk Municipal Airport
>>more

Bill McIntosh: The Man With The 24-Karat Camera
>>more

Hampton Roads Military Corner
Jean Dumlao, a Virginia Beach native, has lived a life of service.
>>more

x
November 2017
x
x

 
x